The interesting facts about Austria
Austria – it is clean air, beautiful nature, unique architecture and a large number of interesting and unusual facts. In this article we have compiled the most interesting and useful facts.
Interesting facts about Austria
- 1. 90% of the Austrian population speak German. He is the official throughout the country. It should also be noted the Slovenian, Croatian and Hungarian languages. That have official status in the regions of Carinthia and Burgenland. Very popular among the younger generation are French and English.
- 2. Austria has a population of 8.5 million people, the area – 83,871 km2. The country is one of the richest and most developed countries in the world – an interesting fact.
- 3. About 50% of Austrian men and 20% of women are overweight, but only 8.6% are obese (the lowest rate in Europe).
- 4. According to the latest polls, it became known that the majority of Austrians spend their free time playing sports and active recreation.
- 5. A quarter of the Austrian population lives in Vienna!
- 6. An interesting fact about Austria: Adolf Hitler was born in Braunau am Inn in Upper Austria.
- 7. Austria is the only country which is part of the EU, and is not a member of NATO.
- 8. Vienna – capital of Austria with a population of 1.7 million people.
- 9. The Austrian flag is one of the oldest national flags of the world.
- 10. The euro – the currency of Austria.
- 11. An interesting fact about Austria: “Tiergarten Schonbrunn” – the first zoo in the world! It was created in Vienna in 1752. In honor of 260 years of sights in 2012 we passed the grand celebration and replenish the number of animals.
- 12. Austria has a very low unemployment rate. Most of the population works for 9 hours a day and for long periods are delayed at work.
- 13. Interesting fact: Austrian inventor Joseph Madersperger in 1818 created the world’s first sewing machine!
- 14. «Haslauer» – the first official hotel in the world! It was founded in 803 and over the centuries XII performs its functions.
- 15. In Vienna, is the largest cemetery in Europe «Zentralfriedhof» (about 3 million tombs). At the cemetery, the graves of Beethoven, Gluck, Brahms, Strauss and Schubert.
- 16. An interesting fact about Austria: Schonbrunn Palace has more than 1440 numbers. It is not only the former residence of the Habsburgs, but also a popular tourist attraction, the real pride of Austria.
- 17. Austria has given the world many famous classical music composers, including Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt, Johann Strauss, Mahler, Bruckner. Every year in the country there are hundreds of music festivals devoted to these great musicians and composers.
- 18. The World celebrity Arnold Schwarzenegger, stunning Hollywood actor and former California governor, was born in the village of Thal, near Graz (Austria) – an interesting fact.
- 19. Ferdinand Porsche – originally from Austria. He is the founder of the German company’s sports cars «Porsche».
- 20. Interesting fact: Austrian Alps occupy 62% of the country.
- 21. Neusiedler – Lake Austria. It is listed as a UNESCO Heritage Site and a popular natural attraction.
- 22. An interesting fact about Austria: 74.5% of the population – Catholics (adherents of the Roman Catholic Church), 4.9% – Lutherans, 12% – atheists, 8% – representatives of other faiths. It is interesting to know that in 1991, the atheists were 5% less!
- 23. Krimml – the highest waterfall in Europe. Its height is 380 meters!
- 24. The first Youth Winter Olympic Games were held (took 3rd place in the medal standings Austrian team) in Austria in 2012.
- 25. The country joined the UN in 1954.
- 26. Austro-Hungarian Empire existed in ’52 from 1867 to 1918.
- 27. An interesting fact about Austria: the world’s largest emerald (2860 carats) is located in imperial treasury Hofburg Palace in Vienna.
- 28. Football – the most popular sport in Austria.
- 29. Austria spends on defense 0.9% of GDP, which is 1.5 bln. Dollars (one of the lowest in Europe).
- 30. Interesting fact: in Vienna and other major cities have unique sobering machines, which operate on the principle of conventional coffee machines. You need only one coin and your drunkenness as an arm lift!
- 31. Austria – a country that gave the world the Viennese waltz and the oldest ferris wheel.
The interesting facts about Austria
Do not miss the interesting facts about Austria. This article contains all the most interesting and useful information about Austria, presented as facts.
Written by: inkas
Date Published: 04/26/2016