The interesting facts about London
London – the main tourist destination of Great Britain, one of the most popular tourist destinations on the planet! We have compiled all of the little-known facts and unusual in one article.
Interesting facts London
- 1. London is the capital of Great Britain.
- 2. Interesting fact: if London was a separate country, it would be included in the eight largest states of Europe!
- 3. The area of the metropolis of London is 1706.8 km2.
- 4. London is at the zero meridian, which has a known name – Greenwich. Meridian is so named due to the fact that it passes through the Greenwich area.
- 5. British capital has a population of over 8 million people. For this indicator, London ranks 16th in the world and 2 in Europe.
- 6. An interesting fact: the date of the foundation of this city – 43 AD. At that time the town had only a modest 1.6 km from east to west and 0.8 km from north to south.
- 7. The world famous London landmark Big Ben is actually the name is not hours or tower, and the 13-ton bell, which is located inside the watch!
- 8. Interesting fact that modern London was formed by two ancient cities – the City and Westminster, that combined to form the Greater London area.
- 9. The world’s first subway was built in London in 1863.
- 10. All known landmark is the capital of England Marble Arch, which was originally built as the entrance to Buckingham Palace, but it somehow never took advantage. Inside the arches there is a tiny office, which is now used as a police station.
- 11. Interesting fact: the opening of Tower Bridge takes exactly 61 seconds! In an average year, this famous bridge opened more than 1,000 times.
- 12. Palace of Westminster, also known as the House of Parliament, has more than 1,100 rooms, 100 staircases, and all of them combined 5 km corridor. An interesting fact that in this vast structure of London also has 19 bars and restaurants, which are very popular among the deputies.
- 13. London is considered the most international city in the world. At least, so I think the majority of the population of England.
- 14. The city has five international airports. Another interesting fact that the world’s busiest airport is Heathrow (London).
- 15. In London there are more than 100 theaters. In addition, over 16% of UK restaurants are located in the capital.
- 16. In 1666, there was a Great Fire of London, which resulted in most of the buildings of London was completely burned. After this terrible case of grandiose restoration works were carried out.
- 17. Windsor Castle is the largest and oldest castle in London. By the way, built 900 years ago, it is still used.
- 18. In order to build one of the best sights – the London Eye, it took hundreds of specialists from 5 countries and 7 years of continuous operation.
- 19. Amazing incident occurred in the capital of the British in 1949. He was associated with Big Ben – one of the most popular attractions. At the minute hand of the clock Big Ben landed a whole flock of starlings! Because of this pack, the time that show the hours, slowed by as much as 5 minutes. In order to fix it took a lot of time and effort.
- 20. Interesting fact: In London there are many football teams, but none of them are named after the capital of Great Britain.
- 21. During the year the landmark London Eye is visited by over 3.5 million people, and in one revolution of this unique building can take 800 passengers. Each of the 32 capsules passenger weighs 10 tons, and total weight of the wheel and capsules is more than 2,100 tons! One full turn passes for the whole 30 minutes, but what you will see during this time, you will remember for a lifetime!
- 22. More than half of people in the central streets – tourists.
- 23. If you take a tour around London, you never, under any circumstances, go to Brixton (London area), it is because this region is the most criminogenic in the capital of England.
The interesting facts about London
This article is a list of interesting facts about London. Contains all the most interesting and useful information about London, presented as facts.
Written by: inkas
Date Published: 04/28/2016