The interesting facts about Norway
This article is specially written for everyone to get acquainted with the distant and cold Norway. You will learn not only about the sights, culture and traditions, but also about interesting and even surprising facts Norway.
Interesting facts about Norway
- 1. Official name: “Kingdom of Norway”.
- 2. Norway has not accepted to smile and talk to strangers on public transport. It is considered rude and uncultured behavior.
- 3. Norway – a unitary state with a form of government – a constitutional monarchy.
- 4. An interesting fact: the country has a population of over 5 million people, making it one of the least populated countries in Europe..
- 5. The average density of the population of Norway is 16 people / km2.
- 6. If you are stopped for driving while intoxicated, then you are waiting for imprisonment up to 30 days and deprivation of driving license for 1 year.
- 7. Pet products Norwegian brown cheese food is “brunost”.
- 8. An interesting fact: before the arrival of Christianity (995 years) in Norway worshiped pagan gods Odin and Thor.
- 9. In the middle of the XIV century plague (Black Death) killed over a third of the population of Norway!
- 10. The penalty or punishment for possession of drugs are much lower than for speeding or driving while intoxicated.
- 11. Most Norwegians take 4 weeks off in the summer and go to tropical countries. During this period, many shops, cafes, theaters and museums are closed, and the life in most big cities slows down. If you are a tourist and came to Oslo or other cities in Norway, you will simply have nowhere to go – an interesting fact.
- 12. Norway – one of the few countries in the world, where officially authorized the hunting of whales.
- 13. Interesting fact: it is believed that the name “Norway” means “Path to the North”.
- 14. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, Norwegians are the most reading nation in the world.
- 15. For the manufacture of soaps used soaked lutefisk lye fish.
- 16. Norway is a major oil producer in the world. However, the price of gas for the local population are among the highest in the world!
- 17. Norway is the most peaceful and secure country in the world. – interesting fact.
- 18. The most beautiful natural attraction is the Fjord (bay) Geiranger Fjord.
- 19. An unusual fact about Norway: on Sundays, no grocery store, but it is not a problem, because at each filling station is a special product department.
- 20. Norway ranks first in the world in terms of press freedom.
- 21. 38% of the population have a higher education. This is the highest rate in Europe!
- 22. The average life expectancy in Norway is 80 years old! Men on average live 76.5 and women 83.4 years.
- 23. Between 2001 and 2011, Norway 9 years led the world ranking on the index of human development – an interesting fact.
- 24. Norway boasts three Nobel Prize winners. In addition, Oslo annually held ceremony of the Peace Prize.
- 25. Oslo – the capital and largest city of Norway. The city’s population is over 613,000 people. More than 30% of the population – immigrants from developing countries.
- 26. Official statistics says that Oslo is the most expensive city in Europe!
- 27. 98.5% of the electricity is produced by hydropower plants in Norway.
- 28. Oil and natural gas accounts for 57% of the Norwegian economy and a third of tax revenue.
- 29. In 2011, Norway was the fifth largest exporter of oil in the world, ahead of Kuwait, Nigeria, Canada and the United States. Also, the country is the third largest exporter of natural gas in the world after Russia and Canada – an interesting fact.
- 30. The Norwegian athletes – absolute leaders in the medal standings at the Winter Olympics.
The interesting facts about Norway
Today we tell you about the rich and cold Scandinavian country of Norway. You will learn many interesting facts about the culture, traditions, economy and everyday life in Norway.
Written by: inkas
Date Published: 04/21/2016