The interesting facts about Portugal
Portugal – one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. A huge variety of resorts, as well as a wealth of architectural heritage have made Portugal one of the main centers of international tourism. But before we go on tour, you need to learn more interesting facts and useful information about the country. In one article we have gathered all the necessary information about Portugal.
Interesting facts about Portugal
- 1. Portugal – the westernmost country of Europe.
- 2. 10.6 million people living in the country. The population density is 115 people / km2
- 3. Almost half of the Portuguese population lives in two cities: Lisbon and Porto.
- 4. Lisbon – it is not only the capital but also the largest city of Portugal. Its population is more than 550 thousand people.
- 5. In Portuguese talking about 232 million people around the world.
- 6. Interesting fact: Lisbon Portela Airport serves about 13 million passengers a year.
- 7. The capital of Portugal is a 25 line rating of the most liveable cities in the world.
- 8. Lisbon is one of the oldest cities in the world. City for hundreds of years older than London, Paris or even Rome.
- 9. The capital region is in the top 10 richest on the continent.
- 10. Portuguese is the official language in 9 countries.
- 11. Portugal – the birthplace of the world famous Port wine.
- 12. Almost 12% of the population of Luxembourg, and 3% of the French have a Portuguese origin.
- 13. The word “Portugal” was first mentioned in 868. At the time, passed the war for the liberation of lands in the Iberian Peninsula from the Moors. The country was formed around the port city that gave its name to Portugal – an interesting fact.
- 14. The Anglo-Portuguese peace treaty, signed in 1373, is the oldest in the world and observed until now.
- 15. An interesting historical fact: In 1761, the colonial power Portugal made the first in the world to abolish slavery. This fact was recorded even in half a century before it came to Spain, France, United Kingdom and the United States.
- 16. The Portuguese legal system is formed on the basis of German law.
- 17. Everyone knows that the country is heavily influenced by the Catholic Church. In this regard, the legalization of abortion has been carried out here only by way of referendum in 2007. This caused a huge number of disputes with the church. It has even come to the point that a Catholic priest has promised to excommunicate all those who voted in favor of the legalization of abortion.
- 18. Portugal’s capital city boasts a unique attraction – the bridge Vasco da Gama. Its length is 17 185 meters. It is the longest bridge in Europe – an interesting fact.
- 19. University of Coimbra, established in 1290, is one of the oldest universities in Europe.
- 20. Bartholomew Diaz – Portuguese explorer, was the first person to reach the southern part of Africa. She called it the Cape of Good Hope.
- 21. The Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan first in the world to carry out world tour.
- 22. An interesting fact about Portugal: kill a bull during a bullfight is a crime.
- 23. The Kingdom of Portugal, there is almost 800 years since 1139 to 1910.
- 24. Portugal is Europe’s oldest tea company. His work she began in 1883.
- 25. The oldest bookstore in the world is located in Lisbon. She opened it in 1732.
- 26. An interesting fact is that Portugal is the only country in Europe whose borders have not changed since 1139.
- 27. Portugal provides 70% of world exports of tubes!
- 28. The Portuguese has his own style of music – Fado! It is characterized by high emotional stress, and songs filled with a sense of loss and frustration. Music sung in Portuguese guitar.
- 29. At the end of 1490 the Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama discovered the sea route to India.
- 30. Portugal’s official currency is the euro.
- 31. The country’s GDP was $ 238.8 billion in 2011.
- 32. The most popular sport in the country is football. It is interesting to know that for the EURO 2012 in Ukraine and Poland, the Portuguese national team failed to reach the semi-finals of the European tournament.
- 33. The fact of religion: more than 85% of the Portuguese are adherents of the Roman Catholic Church, 9% – atheists, the rest of the population belongs to other Christian denominations.
- 34. Adult literacy is 99%.
- 35. The average duration of the Portuguese population is 79.5 years.
The interesting facts about Portugal
Everything you wanted to know about Portugal, gathered in this article! Interesting facts and useful information.
Written by: inkas
Date Published: 04/22/2016