The interesting facts about Australia
Australia – a country with a great environment and beautiful scenery. After reading this article, you will learn many interesting facts about Australia.
Interesting facts about Australia
- 1. About 40 thousand years ago, the continent was more than 300 thousand natives. At the moment, the indigenous inhabitants of Australia, there are less than 1.5%.
- 2. Sydney – Australia’s largest city of the continent. Sydney has a population of 4 million people.
- 3. Canberra – capital of Australia. Canberra Population – 300 thousand people.
- 4. Murray-Darling – the longest river in the continent.
- 5. An interesting fact Australia: born abroad 25% of its citizens.
- 6. 160 thousand prisoners arrived For the last 200 years on the territory of the continent. An interesting fact that in Australia the least violate the laws.
- 7. Being in 6th place in the territory of the world, Australia has a population of 20 million people.
- 8. The largest coral structure in the world – the Great Barrier Reef. It stretches along the coast of Queensland 2300 km (1430 miles).
- 9. Interesting fact: the people of Australia to spend on the game of poker more than anyone else in the world!
- 10. Australia was originally called “New South Wales”.
- 11. Official currency – Australian dollar.
- 12. Voting in elections to all adult citizens of Australia is required. For no-show will be charged!
- 13. Australia – the lowest continent in the world, its average altitude is 330 meters.
- 14. The longest fence in the world is in Australia. Its length is 5530 km. It was erected to isolate the sheep from wild dingo dogs.
- 15. The average life expectancy for women is 82 years and for men 77 years. Interesting fact: in Aboriginal life expectancy is 20 years less than that of other people.
- 16. Tennis, golf, rugby, soccer and aerobics are the most popular sports in Australia.
- 17. More than 60% of the population live in the five Australian cities: Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.
- 18. Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Naomi Watts, Nicole Kidman and Cate Blanchett, Heath Ledger are the most well-known Australian actors in the world.
- 19. Any immigrant to obtain Australian citizenship should be lived in Australia for at least 2 years.
- 20. Joy Radio – the world’s first radio for gays and lesbians. It was founded in 1993 in the Australian city of Melbourne.
- 21. Australia is the second country in the world where women have the right to vote in elections.
- 22. Interesting fact: in 1838 a law was passed that forbade people to swim on public beaches! It existed as much as 44 years before 1902.
- 23. At the Great Barrier Reef has its own post office with its own license and stamp.
- 24. Australia is home to emus, kangaroos and koalas. On the continent, these animals have been distributed worldwide.
- 25. Australia has become the third country in the world that has sent its own satellite into Earth orbit. British rocket “Blue Streak” launched the first Australian satellite.
- 26. Australia is the world’s first place in the number of sheep (more than 700 thousand) and the first place for the production of wool.
- 27. Australian experts estimate that half of all adolescents 14 to 20 years, regularly uses cannabis.
- 28. An interesting fact that Australian residents spend on visits to museums, exhibitions and galleries, no less than in the most developed European countries.
- 29. Australia – a continent with the largest number of venomous animals! Among these are various spiders, snakes, jellyfish and even a kind of octopus. The bite of this octopus painless, but a few minutes later comes complete paralysis and, as a consequence, death. There is no antidote.
The interesting facts about Australia
This article contains only the most interesting Australia facts. Everything you wanted to know about Australia, read only o-travels.com site.
Written by: inkas
Date Published: 05/05/2016